Following are some of the systems and components that are inspected and reported on during the course of our inspection. These items are examined for material defects that would significantly affect the value, desirability, or safety of the home:
- Foundations, basements and underfloor areas — including but not limited to: foundations and support components; ventilation; insulation; access openings; wood separation from soil; drainage and sump pumps; seismic anchoring and bracing.
- Building exteriors — including but not limited to: surface grade; hardscaping; site drainage; wall coverings; doors and windows; attached appurtenances (decks, balconies, porches, stairs, railings and walkways, etc.).
- Roof coverings — including but not limited to: roof coverings; flashings; vents; skylights; roof penetrations; roof drainage.
- Attic areas and roof framing — including but not limited to: framing and sheathing; access openings; insulation; ventilation.
- Plumbing systems — including but not limited to: supply, waste and vent piping; plumbing fixtures, faucets and drains; water heating equipment; functional flow of water supply; functional drainage at fixtures; gas piping and connectors.
- Electrical systems — including but not limited to: service conductors, service equipment and capacity; panels and overcurrent protection devices; service and equipment grounding; wiring; switches: receptacles and light fixtures.
- Heating systems — including but not limited to: heating equipment; venting systems; combustion and ventilating air; energy sources and connections; distribution systems.
- Central cooling systems — including but not limited to: cooling equipment; distribution systems; energy sources and connections; condensate drainage.
- Fireplaces and chimneys — including but not limited to: chimneys; flues and dampers; fireboxes, hearth extensions and accessories; solid-fuel and gas-burning appliances.
- Building interiors — including but not limited to: walls, ceilings and floors; security bars; ventilation; doors and windows; stairs; railings; cabinets and counters; safety glazing; smoke detector placement; laundry provisions; built-in appliances.
For more detailed information about what we inspect (and do not inspect), you can download a copy of the ASHI Standards of Practice.